Golf the game of fitness that transcends age and sex was introduced in India by the end of 18th century. The exiting diversity of courses saw budding of numerous Indian Golfers along the length and breadth of India.
With the Royal Calcutta Golf Club, established in 1829, India became a destination for enthusiastic Indian golfers all across the globe. Since then the Indian golfers have conquered greater heights.
Golf is no longer the game of high class; it’s widely gaining popularity in developing countries like India. The Indian golfers are now provided with all the amenities that meet the international standards, from golf courses to the latest equipments.
Some Indian Golfers worth noting
A bunch of Indian golfers who made history with there splendid performance are:
- Ali Sher, the first Indian to win the prestigious Indian open in 1993; he was also later awarded with Arjuna award.
- Arjun Atwal the first Indian golfer to win a European tour. Arjun atwal is the first Indian golfer in European tour order of merit at 2002 catlex Singapore masters tournament. He won his second European tour for the Carlsberg Malaysian open in 2003. Arjun atwal has a total of 10 wins to this name.
- Gourav Ghei first Indian to qualify for the prestigious British open. Gaurav made an impressive mark with the help of three Asian titles, the Gadgil Western Masters in Nov 1995, the Taiwan Masters in 2006 and in the Beijing Open 2007. In Beijing he won the inaugural Pine Valley Beijing Open golf tournament, by two shots struck against Australian Adam Blyth.
- Jeev Milkha Singh is the highest ranked Indian golfer, he is also the winner of the Volvo china open. With the game reaching new heights, and finding deeper roots in Indian soil.
- Joseph Chakola another eminent Indian golfer finished No1 twice in the Indian Amateur Tour. Joseph chakola is a promising name in the future of Indian golf.
The Indian golfers list also includes legendary cricketers like Kapil Dev who emerged as an Overall winner of the first annual CII Golf tournament at the Jaypee Greens course at Greater Noida near New Delhi and also displayed a stunning performance in the first round of The Siel PGA in New Delhi in November.
Kapil Dev became the best individual gross score in the Standard Chartered Group Invitational Golf Championship, played at the DLF Golf & Country Club.