Millions of people enjoy backyard swimming pools for exercise, fun, and hosting social gatherings. When you have a swimming pool, there are many things you have to do to make sure the pool stays clean and operating properly. One important part of the pool that must be maintained is the pool drain.
The main function of the pool deck drain is to provide a channel to transport excess water from the pool. Deck drains provide safety around the pool as they keep the deck dry and prevent flooding. Deck drains are effective at keeping the pool clean and resistant to damage from regular wear and tear. It also helps make cleaning and draining the deck much easier. Neglecting the pool deck drains can cause a host of problems such as the water not draining properly from the deck. Therefore, it may be time to clean pool deck drain.
Dust, dirt, and pollen gathers on the screen enclosure and the rainfall carries it on top of the deck. As water rushes into the drain, the debris flows with it. One task you may have to perform is unclogging the pool deck drain. A clogged pool drain is caused by a horizontal or a vertical clog. The clog may also be the result of small pieces of material and matter that built up over time and created a large clog. Using a special cleanser will help you get rid of the clog. These special cleansers are effective at removing clogs; however, acidic cleansers have the potential to damage the pool drain. It is important to check to see if you can manually remove the clog.
Cleaning out the pool deck drain includes the following:
1. If you are able to manually remove the clog, you can begin cleaning the deck drain by revealing one end of the channel. Get a flexible 1/2″ hose with the metal end taken off. The length of the hose should be as long as the drain.
2. Turn the hose on a half turn and feed it into the drain.
3. Place a sump pump in a five 5 gallon bucket.
4. Dig a hole that is deep enough so that the top of the bucket matches with the bottom of the drain. Run the discharge hose down to a lower spot. This will allow for the drainage of the clog or other debris.
5. Sometimes when you are able to manually remove the clog, you can use a plunger or auger to unclog drains. It is important to be careful when using these unclogging tools as you do not want to cause more damage and more expense. If you are worried about causing damage, you can enlist the services of a plumber who will have the skills to remove the clog without causing damage.
The pool deck is a vital component of the pool so it is essential that is kept in proper working order. It is wise to establish a maintenance check to make sure the pool deck as well as the rest of the pool components are working properly so that you and your family can enjoy time in and around your pool for many years.